Today, we went to the Singapore Zoo to look at primates, since in science class we are learning about them. A highlight for me about the zoo trip was looking at the primate I was assigned to, which is the white-faced saki. It was really interesting to look at them because they were one of the free roaming monkeys. This way I was able to see them not in a restricted habitat. Especially since when I went there, it was feeding time for them, and I was able to see them eat. Also, when they were eating, they were eating peanuts. And when they eat, they use their teeth to open up the shell, since they have specialized canine teeth made for them, which is something that most primates don't have.
Something that I learned about my animal in the zoo is that they are not very into aggression. For example, when they were eating food and saw a lemur, they weren't threatened by them. And maybe the reason why is because they probably have been in the zoo for quite a long time and have been used to the presence of the lemurs. Also, they weren't defensive over their what seemed to be their territory. Which most primates are very protective about.
The characteristics that I saw in the zoo of the white-faced saki was different from how they are in the wild. Such as territory. White-faced sakis in the wild are very protective over territory. And that's usually what gets them to be very aggressive. For example in the wild, the male and female do something called duetting to maintain territorial boundaries. So the fact, that there was no sign of aggression between the lemur and white-faced sakis was very interesting.
![]() |
| Picture from Flickr |
Something that I learned about my animal in the zoo is that they are not very into aggression. For example, when they were eating food and saw a lemur, they weren't threatened by them. And maybe the reason why is because they probably have been in the zoo for quite a long time and have been used to the presence of the lemurs. Also, they weren't defensive over their what seemed to be their territory. Which most primates are very protective about.
The characteristics that I saw in the zoo of the white-faced saki was different from how they are in the wild. Such as territory. White-faced sakis in the wild are very protective over territory. And that's usually what gets them to be very aggressive. For example in the wild, the male and female do something called duetting to maintain territorial boundaries. So the fact, that there was no sign of aggression between the lemur and white-faced sakis was very interesting.

Comments
Post a Comment