Skip to main content

Kandinsky Watercolor Painting

1. Who was Wassily Kandinsky?

Color Wheel
Wassily Kandinsky was an influential Russian painter and art theorist. He is known for painting one of the first abstract works. Kandinsky began painting studies (life-drawing, sketching and anatomy) at the age of 30. A central aspect of his art was what he called inner beauty, fervor of spirit, and spiritual desire. All of those were based on his artistic experiences.

2. What is the title of the song you chose? Who is the artist(s) and why did you choose this song?

The title of my song is Girls & Boys by Good Charlotte. I chose this song because I felt that it wasn't too upbeat and neither too soft, that way I could choose the shapes and lines I wanted in my painting to be merely based on what I could hear in the music. I could kind of get two sides pretty much. And in the song, there are many concrete objects, but what I tried to do was represent them in an abstract way. For example, it talked about cars, so what I did was draw circles within each other to create a wheel. In my painting, I did that quite a lot to give it a more abstract feel and for the viewers to interpret it in different ways. Click here to listen to the song!

3. How does your artwork represent the piece of music you chose? Explain your use of color, line, rhythm, and shape.

I tested out colors on this draft
I think my artwork represents the piece of music I chose because in the song, it talks about how girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money, which is actually a lyric from there. So I decided to put a kind of snowman to portray a human and a target sign with a dollar sign on it. That way you can kind of define it as a deer in the headlights or how a girl's vision of a guy is. As for color, in my painting, you can see that I go a lighter on one side of the painting, and on the other side, there are more layers and darker tones. I chose that to kind of show the girl's point of view on one side and the boys on the other. And another part where rhythm actually helped create the line I created, was the triangles/zig zags that move along across the long line coming from the target. I did that because I remember there was one point in the music where a beat was going up and down, so I decided to kind of move with the beat the music was going. In my painting I mix lots of colors together and graduate washes to create more of an ombre affect too.
Drafts from listening to different songs by the Beatles and many other artists
Another draft 


4. What do you think of abstract art?

The first time we did the Synesthesia activity
I think that abstract art is very interesting and the amazing thing is that the artist may have interpreted everything in the painting as one thing, but with the viewers not knowing the background story of the painting, they could have a completely different interpretation of the painting. And I also love people are able to take such a simple shape and make a connotative meaning with it, and I think that's what genuinely interests people when they look at abstract art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Bill

The chart above shows my family's monthly water consumption. In August it was 72.8 cubic meters, in september it was 60.5 cubic meters, in October it was 64.9 cubic meters, in November it was 63.7 cubic meters, in December it was 25.8, and for January it was 47.7. The average is 55.9 cubic meters per month. The target was the average reduced to 20% less of our water consumption and the amount we would want to use instead of using an a lot more wasteful amount. Our target was 44.72 cubic meters per month.

Significancy of Schindler's List: News Package

News Package Element/ Time Reference Script Introduction The Holocaust is one of the most famous genocides known by many around the world. There has always been speculation whether the movie, Schindler’s List, and its goriness was ever appropriate for students, especially for those who couldn’t handle the gruesome content in the movie. But one filmmaker, Steven Spielberg, made a monumental movement. He changed the lives of many with just one movie. He brought perspectives on prejudice and bullying to light in the phenomenal movie, Schindler’s List . Soundbite 1: Matthew Elms, 8th grade C-side social studies teacher (Elms, 5:43) “I have a hard time imagining an intelligent person sitting down and watching that movie and not being changed. And being the same person afterwards that they were before.” Bridge When asked on how the movie could change people’s perspectives on the world and prejudice, Matthew Elms, an eighth grade social studies teacher at SAS, had a s...

Target

Airplanes flying low, smoke and fire everywhere, and destruction of the twins falling down. That was nine-eleven. It was the tragedy that shook the entire world and the time where many lives were lost trying to save the innocent.Tears fled from people’s eyes like a stream and hearts were slowly tearing apart as loved ones were getting torn apart from them. Grief and condolences were sent to the US and its people. And during that very sad time, Muslims were discriminated because about one percent of their population were the ones who attacked. Persecuted for doing something they didn’t do, something they didn’t have control of. Even being called horrible names like “terrorist”.  Going to an American school and being the only Muslim in my grade, I felt like a social casualty. A lost puppy in a thunderstorm. We used to talk about this event in class every year and my teacher would talk about the culprits that were the Muslim terrorists. And I would see the few peers who woul...