Interim Semester Japan Blog
|
This blog will serve as a documentation for your trip and will be part of your assessment for a grade.
|
Expectations:
A: Participation and Leadership
B: Proper behaviour: follow all the instructions ( such as get to the airport on time, follow the curfew, time, no switching rooms without letting sponsors know, etc.)
C: Documenting and recording your daily work and submit to the appointed blog (make videos / take photos of daily progress, achievement, etc...)
D: Interaction with other students' work:
|
Pre Trip Activity at SAS: Ceramic Bowl and Glazing
|
|
|
Reflection: Making our bowls and glazing them was super fun. I really enjoyed doing it as it not only gave me an idea of what we would be doing during the trip, but it also allowed me to spend this time collaborating and bonding with the people on my trip. In the first meeting when we designed our bowls and first started making them, I thought that it was great that we were told to sit with people we didn't know, as it allowed us to interact and get to know the people we would be spending a week with.
|
Day 1 Heading to Mashiko
|
|
|
Describe your thoughts on the Japanese way of living see as we travel from the city to the countryside (compare to Singapore or your home)?
As I looked out the bus window, I was able to notice a lot of differences between the ways that the Japanese live and the way I live. For example, I noticed how calm and serene it was when we started our journey to Mashiko. This was a huge change of atmosphere as I'm used to more lively and boisterous surroundings. Moreover, along with the calm atmosphere, I was able to notice how the Japanese seem to focus more on and enjoy the little things. From our small, but roomy home for three days, I could tell that the Japanese live lives that are more comfortable and close to their loved ones, as the only things separating them are sliding doors. The Japanese don't seem to necessarily care about living a lavish and luxurious lifestyle, differing from some of the big homes and numerous high brand stores that you see in Singapore.
Describe your thoughts about the traditional nabe dinner?
I am a huge lover of Japanese food, therefore I loved the nabe dinner. With the different vegetable and seafood, it all balanced well with the udon noodles. And the broth itself was very delicious. Overall, I think it was a great way to start immersing ourselves into the Japanese culture after our long day of traveling. |
Day 2 Mashiko (Demonstrations, Studio work and Museum Visit)
|
Describe the ceramic studio and your first impressions:
When I first walked into the ceramic studio, one of the first things I noticed was the dirt floor. Although it was a dirt floor, I actually felt as if it was quite clean. It was really weird considering that most people associate dirt with dirty, but the whole atmosphere of the room made me feel as though I was more connected and gave me a deeper understanding of pottery. Besides the dirt floor, I noticed how everything else in the room seemed to be organic, and I really liked that as I felt that connection to nature.
What was the most interesting of the demonstrations?:
What I found most interesting about the demonstration was how quick and easy Euan made the ceramic bowls. I could tell that he was centered and one with the clay as he made each bowl within 20 seconds. Another thing I found interesting was when he mentioned the concept of functionality. The bowls he created weren't just made to be pieces of art, but most importantly were made to be used by others.
Hamada Museum Reflection:
I found the Hamada Museum to be quite interesting. Seeing Hamada Shoji's kick wheel and the old kilns, it all gave me a sense of deeper understanding for Japanese pottery. Not only that, but I was also able to learn more about Euan's background as he worked his way to become the master potter that he is.
Other thoughts: Overall, I thought this was a great first day to be introduced to Japanese pottery and become more comfortable with working with the clay.
|
Day 3 Mashiko (Demonstrations, Studio work and Museum Visit)
|
Describe your work:
I was very shaky when I made my bowls, so I got a lot of help from the pottery instructors. My pieces had a lot of imperfections, but one of the things I learned through this experience was that the imperfections were what made them perfect and human. But despite my struggles with creating the bowls, I really enjoyed working with the clay as it was pretty therapeutic for me. Although I wanted to try out different shapes for my pieces, I ended up just sticking to making bowls as I felt that I needed to focus on grasping the basics before I moved on to harder things.
Describe your successes and frustrations:
I found that I had a lot more frustrations than successes when creating my bowls, but I still had things to be proud of. For instance, I was able to create the mountain which would end up setting up my bowl. Not only that, but at one point I was finally able to create a bowl without any hands-on help, which I was very proud of. The majority of my frustrations came from trying to create the shape of my bowl. Sometimes I would end up making the sides too thin and part of it would break off. This left me super frustrated as I would end up starting all over again.
Mashiko Museum of Ceramic art Reflection:
The Mashiko Museum of Ceramci Art had a more modern feel to it than the Hamada Museum. Although it was more modern and contemporary, I felt as though there was still a good balance between the traditional and modern ceramic pieces. Here, I was able to see a variety of pieces from different eras and different artists, with some coming from different countries. Overall, I found the museum to be quite nice as I was able to see a nice mix of ceramic artwork.
How was your dinner?
I loved our dinner and thought it was delicious as we tried another type of Japanese delicacy. I ate deep fried seafood with rice and miso soup. Everything was super yummy and balanced well with each other. This dinner was a bit different from our other dinners as we were assigned our seating based on what we ordered. This was a great way for all of us to talk to different people and engage in conversation. As for me, I was able to get to know some of the freshman boys and girls who were sitting with me. It was refreshing talking to new people and finding similarities amongst each other.
Other Thoughts: One of the most important things I learnt from making pottery was the importance of being calm. The more angry and annoyed I was, the less centered I was and the more mistakes and problems that occurred while making my bowl. But the more relaxed I was, the more I became one with the clay and create better bowls.
|
Day 4 Last day Mashiko-Tokyo Bound
|
Describe your overall Mashiko experience prior to leaving.
Overall, I thought that Mashiko was a lot of fun. I was able to immerse myself in traditional Japanese culture, as well as learn about Japanese pottery and its origins. I had such a fun time and would definitely want to come back in the future.
Cultural Moment:
During our time in Mashiko, we were given the opportunity to go to a Japanese Onsen. Some say it's the most Japanese thing you can do. Here, Japanese locals take time off to soak in the natural hot springs that Japan has to offer. Before we went to the Onsen, I was quite nervous and worried about being butt-naked in front of so many people. But once I took a dip in the boiling hot water, all my worries washed away. I realized how comfortable everyone else was in their own skin, and how there was nothing to be worried about as no one cared about what I looked like.
Funny Moment:
One of the funniest moments in Mashiko happened the first night we were there. My roommates and I were taking turns using the shower, and while waiting outside the bathroom, one of the first of many funny moments occurred. Out of nowhere, Joanna, who was currently using the bathroom, popped out of the bathroom door looking flustered. Shivering, she talked with chattering teeth, complaining about how cold she was despite the warm shower she had. Seconds later, Valerie popped out with her wet hair out of sorts, and carried looks that could kill. With no time to talk, she dashed out of the bathroom and ran to the warmth of our cozy room. Watching them go ballistic was hilarious...until I had to go through the same exact thing.
Eye Opening Moment:
One of the most eye opening moments in Mashiko probably had to be learning how Euan got to where he is today. When he told us that he basically dropped everything and left everything and everyone he knew to come to Japan, I was shocked. It showed me the power of passion and how if you want to learn and fulfil your dreams, you have to be willing to take risks. He showed all of us that you have to work with everything you have in order to become the person you want to be. |
Day 5 Tokyo Exploration
|
Today we have a full day to explore the capital. We begin with a visit to the Edo Museum, dedicated to provide visitors with an understanding of the cultural evolution of Tokyo from 400 years ago. Yet, rather than a singular focus on the ruling warrior class of the Edo period, many of the exhibits are enticingly designed to convey a detailed picture of how ordinary people lived. After our visit we venture across town to make a pilgrimage to the Meiji Shrine, dedicated to Emperor Meiji, who has been consistently recognized as instrumental in opening Japan to the outside world. Located in a forested area of over 120,000 evergreen trees donated from all over the world, the Shinto Meiji shrine provides a peaceful oasis in the center of Tokyo. After our visit, there may be time to stroll along Omotdesando (high end goods) or Takeshitsa Street which is home to trendy, and more affordable, boutiques.
Leaving the area, we head to near Nishishinjuku for our session on traditional drumming, or Taiko. Our talented instructors will give us a brief background on taiko and how drumming has been integrated into ceremonies and festivals at temples and shrines throughout the country. They will give an expert demonstration and then, after providing us with our own bachi, or stick, and lead us through our drumming session.
Upon conclusion of the session, we train back to Ginza for dinner
|
Day 6 Tokyo Park and Museum
|
Today we make our way to Inokashira Park in Mitaka, a western part of Tokyo, to explore the Ghibli Museum.
Describe the Museum and your thoughts on the filmmaking process:
The Ghibli Museum had to be my favorite museum that we visited by far. Walking in there, I was suddenly immersed into a colorful, cartoon world. Everything inside the museum caught my attention; not a single thing bored me. It was amazing seeing everything come alive and it got me even more interested on the whole filmmaking process.
While walking around in the museum we noticed people lining up to see an area which looked like a study space. There, we could see all the sketches that the director of all the movies, Hayao Miyazaki, created for all his movies. Seeing all the frame-by-frame sketches and all the tools he used to create his movies such as Spirited Away, intrigued me and made me have a deeper appreciation for all the work that goes into the filmmaking process.
|
Day 7 Tokyo Exploration and Home Bound
|
Photos and Videos of Final Day:
Boat ride to a manmade island
|
The chart above shows my family's monthly water consumption. In August it was 72.8 cubic meters, in september it was 60.5 cubic meters, in October it was 64.9 cubic meters, in November it was 63.7 cubic meters, in December it was 25.8, and for January it was 47.7. The average is 55.9 cubic meters per month. The target was the average reduced to 20% less of our water consumption and the amount we would want to use instead of using an a lot more wasteful amount. Our target was 44.72 cubic meters per month.



















Comments
Post a Comment