Slab Construction
| |
Construction
| |
|
| |
Reflection:
Describe what you enjoyed about the construction-
What I really enjoyed about construction was just being able to "get down and dirty". Being able to use the clay to create something that could be potentially functional was exciting for me, as well as a therapeutic process. Moreover, because everyone's piece was individualized, I enjoyed being able to learn new techniques that applied to my piece. For example, I used the slab construer to create coils, which I then made into braids for my handles.
Describe what you found difficult or needed more instruction-
While constructing my box, I found it hard to actually put some of the sides together. This was due to the fact that some of my slab pieces weren't equal in size with each other, so it made it harder to slip and score, and ultimately put them together. Also, sometimes when I was pushing the sides together, I would end up curving the sides inwards, when they were supposed to be straight. But with the help of Mr. Pabotoy and the side evener tool, I was able to push the curves back down and make them straight again.
What do you think about the final outcome of your construction-
I'm pretty proud about the final outcome of my construction as it does actually look quite close to my initial design. Although, I do think that I could have made the sides and handles more even, I think that it turned out well for my first project, and I now know where I need to focus more on for future pieces. | |
Glaze Record and Technique
| |
Glazes and Underglazes used:
Exterior: Speedball Blue Underglaze, Teacher's Palette Midnight Blue, Teacher's Palette Medium Blue, and Opalescent Transparent Pearl
Interior: Clear glaze
Technique:
For the body and the lid of my box, I used one coat of the Speedball Royal Blue Underglaze. After that I applied four coats of the Opalescent Transparent Pearl glaze. As for my handles I used two coats of the Teacher Palette Midnight Blue glaze, and then after it dried I rubbed off some of the surface of the midnight blue glaze and used the sponging technique to apply three coats of the Teacher Palette Medium Blue glaze.
| |
Pre Fire Glaze Photo
|
Post Fire Glaze Photo
|
Final Reflection
| |
Describe the overall final result of your piece.
The final result of my piece is a box with a trapezoid base and a lid in the shape of a pyramid, as well as braided handles. The body of my piece has a blue undertone with an opalescent transparent pearl on the surface, with the glaze pulling away from the edges, and ultimately defining the edges. My handles are two different tones of blue in order to define the texture in the braids.
What was your biggest surprise?
My biggest surprise when I saw it come out of the kiln was how blue my piece was. Initially, I thought that if I had the blue underglaze and the opalescent transparent pearl glaze on top, that there would be a slight blue undertone. But when it came out, the blue shined through the opalescent glaze even more than I thought.
What would you change for your construction technique?
For my construction technique, I would try and focus more on slipping and scoring, as well as making sure I put enough pressure when attaching my sides, that way it can reduce cracking and be more stable. What would you change for your glazing technique? For my glazing technique, I would try and be more careful when applying the glazes. When I was putting on my glazes, I started rushing and being a bit careless. Due to my carelessness, it made it harder for me to scrape off the excess glaze around the handles, as well as from my final product I can see that the glazes on my handles were uneven and didn't come out exactly the same, therefore I would try and be more careful, that way it'll make my piece look more polished and clean. | |
The chart above shows my family's monthly water consumption. In August it was 72.8 cubic meters, in september it was 60.5 cubic meters, in October it was 64.9 cubic meters, in November it was 63.7 cubic meters, in December it was 25.8, and for January it was 47.7. The average is 55.9 cubic meters per month. The target was the average reduced to 20% less of our water consumption and the amount we would want to use instead of using an a lot more wasteful amount. Our target was 44.72 cubic meters per month.


Comments
Post a Comment